The Military Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calls for national Armed Forces Day

Go down

Calls for national Armed Forces Day Empty Calls for national Armed Forces Day

Post by Admin Sun 09 Mar 2008, 12:55 pm

Military chiefs, MPs and families of Britain's war dead have called on the Government to recognise the contribution made by servicemen and women with the creation of an "Armed Forces Day".

Former defence chiefs believe that such a day would allow the public to pay tribute to the Armed Forces and their families following years of sacrifice in Iraq and Afghanistan, where 264 servicemen and women have been killed and more than 1,000 injured.

The day would be marked by all Armed Services members, both on and off duty, being encouraged to wear uniform in public, open days held at barracks and announcements in school assemblies to make pupils aware of local troops and their service to the nation.

The campaign is being supported by Gen Lord Guthrie, the chief of the defence staff under Tony Blair, who said: "I believe an Armed Forces Day would be welcome and supported by the military. It is a marvellous idea."

In a separate development, a Ministry of Defence document obtained by this newspaper discloses that the Army is being forced to "poach" soldiers from abroad to solve a shortage of numbers.

The report shows that the Army has hundreds of "gaps" in staff posts caused by a chronic shortages of middle and junior ranking officers - major and captains - and could be forced to delay officers' retirements and promote others beyond their abilities.

The document states that the troop shortages are "inevitably causing strain and some angst within the Officer Corps, as well as some concern within the General and Central Staff". It adds that the gaps are now "serious" and will get "very serious" by June this year, when the Army could face a 22 per cent shortage of captains.

Defences sources told The Sunday Telegraph that an Armed Forces Day, which already exists in the United States, would be welcomed by senior members of the military, as well as the rank and file.

Patrick Mercer, the Tory MP for Newark and a former infantry commander, said: "An Armed Forces Day is an outstanding idea and I support it 110 per cent. I think the idea of spontaneous thanks will chime very well with the British public.

"It will reflect the sort of thing which went on in the First World War when there were national days for the wounded. Not only must troops wear their uniforms but ex-servicemen should wear their medals."

Adml Sir Henry Leach, who led the Royal Navy during the Falklands War in 1982, said: "I fully support this idea. You have to pick you battles but this is one that should be fought. I think the public would support this too."

Cdr John Muxworthy, of the UK National Defence Association, said: "The UKNDA wholeheartedly supports this initiative. It is innovative and exciting and its time has come and hopefully all members of our society will pay tribute to our Armed Forces."

Reg Keys, whose son Tom was murdered by an Iraqi mob in June 2003, said: "Actions speak louder than words. The Government keeps telling us how proud they are of our Armed Forces - now let them show it with an Armed Forces Day."

Among other ideas suggested, football clubs could offer free tickets to members of the Armed Forces and pubs and restaurants could offer free meals and drinks. People would also be encouraged to shake the hands of servicemen and women wearing uniform in public.

The Government has set up an Armed Forces National Recognition Study Team, which will consider ways of improving and building on the public's relationship and understanding of the work of the military.

The body, headed by the Labour MP Quentin Davies, is expected to recommend in a report this year that troops should be "actively encouraged" to wear uniform in public.

The call for a special day follows concern over the decision by a senior RAF officer to advise personnel based at RAF Wittering, in Cambridgeshire, not to wear their uniforms in public for fear of being abused by anti-war protesters.

The decision was triggered after a military nurse was subjected to abuse and vandalism for five months.

Gp Capt Rowena "Ro" Atherton, the RAF Wittering Station Commander, defied the calls for a rethink. She said: "The instruction I gave to my personnel not to wear uniform in Peterborough still stands, as their safety is my prime concern."

David Cameron, the Tory leader, said: "Service personnel should feel confident about wearing their uniforms in public. The overwhelming majority of the British people think what they do is extremely brave and professional and we're really proud of them."

The report on officer shortages leaked to this newspaper says: "One area of particular concern is the strain on the 'top third' [Army] officers who are constantly in demand and sometimes do not have the opportunity to recover from operational tours."

Under the heading "new ideas", the documents, dated Oct 23, 2007, suggests: "Offer posts to Commonwealth (Australia, New Zealand and possibly South Africa but not Canada who are likely to be finding manning challenges similar to our own).

"Some Commonwealth officers might welcome the opportunity to gain further experience, not least on operations."

Provided By: Telegraph - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/09/narmyday109.xml

Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 133
Job : Military
Hobbies : Fitness, Nutrition, Military, Sports & Adventure
Donation Bar :
Calls for national Armed Forces Day Left_bar_bleue9 / 1009 / 100Calls for national Armed Forces Day Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-04

http://www.TheMilitaryForums.com

Back to top Go down